Panoramic View of Lake Varner

I survey the landscape around me. I am sitting on a rock on top of a grassy hill overlooking a serene lake and a hilly pasture across the lake. To the left of me, there is a little bridge that crosses over the lake and connects the side where I’m sitting to the pasture. Here and there, little ducks bob on the water, occasionally dunking their heads underneath the water and splashing about. Another few ducks stand on the shore closest to me, drying off and scavenging for food from the little children playing in the grass. Turtles bask on rocks surfacing above the water. Across the lake, a herd of cows graze peacefully. They look like undefined dark blobs, but there is a certain gentleness about them that even distance can not hide. Along with the cows sits a pavilion that looks like a tiny dollhouse. Lush green trees line the hills of the pasture, and every now and then a breeze makes them dance around. To the right of me, on the side that I am on, there is a couple sitting on a swinging bench who are also surveying the beauty of the lake and its inhabitants. Even more to the right, all traces of civilization disappear and all that can be seen on either side is just water and trees. A heron rests in the shallow water. He is watching us as much as we are watching him. As I gaze around, slowly the sun starts to set and the sky erupts into different colours of pink and orange and purple. The still water of the lake imitates the colours of the sky. It almost acts as though a mirror would by reflecting the beauty of the vibrant sky. Lake Varner is truly one of the prettiest places to be seen in Newton County, Georgia.